Wednesday, June 4, 2014

23 Mobile Things - Thing 17 : Connecting to Community

Thing 17 is about using local apps to connect with our communities. 

One app that I use, although admittedly not too often, is for one of our local TV news stations. NNC-Now from our Northlands News Center. It's easy to pop up on my phone when I'm looking for a quick update or a current news story. I do hate that 1st up is an advertisement but I understand it pays their bills.  

Here are a few snips:





Another "local app" that I use  is 511MN from our MN Dept of Transportation. This app provides details on road conditions, road construction/detours, and crashes that might affect traffic movement. I use this often during the winter to check road conditions. I travel about 1/2 hour each way to & from work so this is handy for determining my best route of travel during bad weather. 

Here are some snips:


You can zoom in to view closer details. 


The icons depict various conditions. 


You can click on the icons for more details. 

Another app that I love that isn't a "local app" but you can use to find local restaurants is OpenTable. I simply love this app! Locate, reserve and you're ready to go!

No comments: