Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thing 34 -- Is This Our Competition--Online Answer Sites

03/11/2009
I looked at a few of the suggested sites -- I liked Cha Cha & might try to remember it for mobile use. I think it's a cool resource for the quick question/answer -- like when do the MN Wild play? etc.

I quickly looked at (really only the homepage of) AllExperts -- they might have been around since 1998 but I didn't like the looks of their site. To me it was like the "bad" webpages you sometimes get when you've entered a web address incorrectly. So I didn't look any further -- "all experts" or not it's time for them to get an extreme webpage makeover!

I also looked at Snappy Fingers and for the fun of it I asked, "how do I change a lightbulb?" I rec'd 4 matches -- the 1st listed gave actual directions, the 2nd listed was a joke about how many feminists it takes to do so, the 3rd match had nothing at all to do with the question, and the 4th match was info from a blacksmith's page.

So, overall do I think these sites are our competition? No way. I just think that they are alternative ways to go about getting answers but as with the internet/www in general it's "user beware" ...

No comments: