Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thing 7 -- Web 2.0 Communication Tools

02/20/2008
E-mail -- I have had e-mail for about 15 yrs. & I currently maintain 3 personal accts (1 for family/friends, 1 for personal business & 1 for "junk"), 1 work acct, and our 1 library acct. Our library acct doesn't get too much use but I still think it is a very important tool. I mainly use it for sending overdue notices, ILL notices, and communicating with distance students. On our library website we have it listed as as way to submit reference questions although responses are only generated during work hours.

IM -- We don't use this tool in our library but I have used it personally over the years. Back a few yrs ago while I was working on a degree it was VERY helpful while working on a group project. As each of us worked on a portion of a computer programming project we could easily keep in touch by sharing new ideas, asking questions, updating each other on our progress all while working in different geographic areas.

Text Messaging -- Again, we do not use this tool in our library but I use it multiple times on a daily basis and LOVE it! A while back my brother-in-law (older than me) asked me "why"?? He didn't see the advantages of it. My sister-in-law shared with me that my 13 yr old nephew used it to get himself out of a situation where he was visiting a friend and the friend's older brother was doing some questionable things with his friends. My nephew sent a text to his Mom to come get him vs. having to "call" and sound like a cry-baby.

Web Conferencing -- Whenever possible I use this tool and think that it is great for saving time & money on traveling to & from meetings and training. There are the downfalls when the technology isn't working at it's best. But I think the overall benefit outweighs the bad.

No comments: