Friday, March 21, 2008

Thing 19 -- Podcasts

03/21/2008
The 1st podcast I picked I found in podcast.com. I used their "rooty/our featured pocasts" menu and then clicked on Science. Kidcast.tv : Science@Home jumped out to me. My 3 "kids" (human not 4 legged!) watched Bill Nye the Science Guy as they were growing up plus I've always been interested in science. The episode I viewed was Science@Home: Minute 7. These podcasts are only quick, simple shows that answer science questions submitted by kids but DEFINITELY more useful than commerical advertisements! I did notice that the podcast was listed under "lastest episodes" but the link info said it had been posted 41 weeks ago -- hmmm, not too recent. So I found their direct website and found out quickly that they have had to abandon their shows etc. -- their news blog indicated a "cease and desist notice" ... so much for that!

Okay so on to some more podcasts I tried. The Education Podcast Network (EPN) seems like it would have some interesting & academic titles (I work in an academic library). I started to listen to Math Mutation #60 "Drop that number or we'll shoot" but it was only audio ... and surprise, surprise ... boring!! Just thought I'd give it a shot (yes, pun intended!). So while still on EPN I checked out a podcast under the topic "Healthful Living", The EnvironMinute -- "Easter Eggs" but again, just audio. So I'm really a visual person while on the computer :))) and if I wanted to listen to audio only then I'd turn on a radio ... and if I wanted boring radio then I turn on talk-radio.

Podcastalley.com didn't appeal to me; reminded me more of a news source. Podcast.net wouldn't load for me so I went back to Podcast.com and checked out the Education rooty and selected The Princeton Review Vocab Minute "Party". This is supposed to teach a vocab word in 60 seconds via song. Well, for higher education it's an interesting concept ... and I guess could be used to bridge a link between K-3 and ESL ... but mainly I think it's a college group having fun and touting this as educational. I was expecting something more a long the lines of Schoolhouse Rock teaching but this is more like Raffi enjoyment. ... I should note this was only audio but I did like it!
Would I ever podcast? As in create one myself? I really don't think so ... or at least I don't have any inspiration for a podcast of my own creation. As for subscribing to a podcast I think I'd have to do a little more researching but I don't think that I would subscribe. But I reserve the right to say "never say never" ...

No comments: