Monday, March 17, 2008

Thing 17 -- ELM Tools

03/17/2008
Well I have to admit I have a link for ELM on our library website but I don't use the ELM resources very often nor do I suggest them to library patrons. I do have separate links for EBSCO (using "MegaFile") and ProQuest but the remaining ELM links have not promoted as heavily.

Gale -- I, like others it seems, was not able to get the RSS feed working. The feed symbol showed up but I rec'd an error msg when pasting the URL. IF it worked I think this would be useful when researching for a project or paper.

EBSCO -- Page Composer was "ok" but I think there are much better options out there for creating webpages ... but maybe I'm tainted by having 13 years experience in webpage design.

ProQuest -- I did like this feature of creating a "web page" (actually just a way to send your research results via e-mail) ... being able to add notes or comments is a great advantage and just that little extra reminder about why you liked or kept a certain webpage.

NetLibrary -- Yet another offering of ways to save, share, and comment on research items. I wasn't able to fully explore this since my NetLibrary logon & password weren't working for me ... this has happened for me more than once in the past with NetLibrary. I sent a logon/password help request but still have not yet had a response ... all this discourages me from using their product.

How can these tools benefit us? Since we are an academic library and the majority of our patrons are our students these are good ways to help them keep track of their research resources.

No comments: